Broward College Names the 2018-2019 Professors of the Year
Following the tradition to recognize the best of our faculty, Broward College announced the winners for the 2018-2019 Professor of the Year awards. The awards celebrate dedicated, innovative, and creative part-time and full-time faculty. Professors are nominated by their peers and students on each campus.
Twelve faculty members collegewide will be recognized this year during the spring commencement ceremony at the BB&T Center in Sunrise on May 7.
Hugh Adams Central Campus
- Professor Brian Faris has been an employee of Broward College for the past 18-years. He became a full-time faculty member in August 2007 teaching courses in Networking Services Technology.
- Dr. Behnoush Memari has been a full-time professor of Chemistry at Broward College since 2003. She has served in several roles at the College, including, associate academic dean, contextual consultant, and e-Associate for Instructional Technology. She was named Endowed Teaching Chair in 2008 and 2013 and was also previously named a Professor of the Year.
- Professor Jennifer Millien is a part-time professor of Media Technology since 2016. She is actively involved in the Women in Film Association for Broward College.
- Professor Serge Komovsky has been a part-time professor of Mathematics at the College since 2015. He received his B.S. and M.S. in Aerospace Engineering from the National Aviation University in Kiev, Ukraine.
- Professor Amber Abels has been teaching Biology and Anatomy at Broward College for the past two years as full-time faculty. She is currently working towards a Doctorate in Education with a focus on educational technology at the University of Florida.
- Professor Marcus Sousa is a former Broward College student who earned a bachelor’s degree in secondary Mathematics Education from the College. He now teaches Mathematics part-time alongside his former instructors.
- Dr. Leon Weissberg has been an educator for 48 years. He has been with Broward College for the past five years teaching different history courses. Dr. Weissberg is currently a part-time professor of American History for the College Academy.
Judson A. Samuels South Campus
- Professor Simone Keize has been teaching full-time at Broward College since 2013. In addition to her role as professor, she created the Accountant Students Association (ASA), which helps students with networking, scholarships, and job opportunities.
- Professor Yvonne P. Morris is a part-time professor at the Arts, Humanities, Communication and Design Pathway at Broward College since 2009. She is also an author, speaker, and certified holistic life coach that holds master’s degrees in Communication and HR Management.
- Professor Jennifer Killam has been teaching English for Academic Purposes for the past two years as part-time faculty. She is currently pursuing her Ph.D. in Composition and Applied Linguistics at Indiana University of Pennsylvania.
- Professor Margo Butler is a full-time faculty member of the Liberal Arts department. She started at the College in 1998 and was one of the first to develop an online course for Broward College Online.
- Professor Douglas Phinney is part-time professor of American History at the College for the past ten years. He was first a professor at South Campus and later moved to Online as the College created its Online campus.
Congratulations to our Professors of the Year!
Learn more about Broward College and its exceptional faculty by visiting www.broward.edu.