Ways To Start A School Day Off Right
With the new school year now up and running, your routine and schedule will probably change a bit. After the summer break, you might find it difficult to get back into the swing of things, so here are a few tips to help make every school day a productive one:
- Get a Good Night’s Sleep. This is an obvious one but also a very important one. If you oversleep or don’t get enough sleep, you’re setting yourself up to be tired for the rest of the day. Try to set a solid routine of 6 to 8 hours a night, and stick to it.
- Eat a Healthy Breakfast. Never underestimate the power a well-balanced breakfast. Not only will it give you more energy, but it will help you stay more focused and alert. Food high with protein, such as eggs are a great choice. Foods such as oatmeal and granola are also ideal. No time for breakfast at home? There are many options on campus to grab something before class. Subway, Dunkin Donuts and our cafeterias offer breakfast choices.
- Drink a Bit of Caffeine. Black tea or a small cup of caffeinated coffee will keep you on “your toes” and alert. Avoid sugary sodas or energy drinks as they may give you a quick “pick-me-up” but will come with a sluggish crash afterwards.
- Stimulate Your Mind in the Morning. Don’t just jump out of bed and into your car as soon as you wake up. It is important to stimulate your mind in the morning. Some examples are catching up on the news, exercising or listening to music. Get your mind and your body moving.
- Keep Your Body Alert. It is important to keep your mind AND your body alert. Your body plays a critical role in staying focused. Sitting up straight, rolling your shoulders back and rolling your head in a circular motion are a few ways to let your body know that it’s time to focus.