Unleash Your Creativity with these Degrees in Visual and Performing Arts
Are you passionate about dance, music, theatre or art? Unleash your creativity and explore the possibilities with the Visual and Performing Arts program at Broward College.
Since Broward College’s founding in 1960, the Visual and Performing Arts Department has been a vital part of the school. Through award winning faculty and industry-leading facilities, the department has cultivated many talented artists that have realized successful careers and acclaim in their fields.
With five associate degree programs and numerous venues at three campuses, students are exposed to countless learning and development opportunities both in and out of the classroom.
Degrees in Visual and Performing Arts
- Dance: Designed to expand individual knowledge, creativity, academic and artistic abilities while nurturing career goals, the dance program offers courses in jazz, ballet, pointe, modern dance, music for dance, dance composition and dance appreciation. Every semester, the Broward College Dance Ensemble provides students with the opportunity to audition for bi-annual dance concerts that are held in the Bailey Concert Hall at the Central Campus in Davie.
- Music: The music program gives students a solid foundation in reading music, music theory, music history, applied music and ear training. Focused on helping students develop an array of skills while preparing them for a four-year bachelor’s degree in music, many graduates have gone on to renowned music programs such as the Berklee College of Music, Florida State University and the University of Florida. Broward College Music students also have opportunities to showcase their talents with the Choral Society, Broward College Singers, Jazz Ensemble, Symphonic Band and Symphony Orchestra in performances at the Bailey Concert Hall.
- Music Technology: With a focus on technical and production skills; audio equipment setup and operation; and underlying principles of music technology, students will get hands-on experience with multi-track recording systems, the latest software, industry standard audio systems, sound mixing devices and peripheral equipment. The program also offers day, evening or online courses, as well as internship opportunities with local industry leaders.
- Theatre: Revolving around the art of acting and producing a performance, this program offers courses in acting, stage combat, stage makeup and voice, as well as theatrical sound and lighting design. Designed to prepare students for a bachelor’s degree program, former students have been accepted to theatre programs at the New World School of the Arts, Marymount Manhattan College, Florida International University and Florida Atlantic University. Students have the opportunity to perform at The Fine Arts Theatre on the Central Campus in Davie.
- Visual Arts: The Visual Arts program offers three different tracks, visual art, art history, graphic design (AA). Designed to prepare students for a bachelor’s degree, program graduates have been accepted to prestigious art schools such as Ringling College of Art & Design, the Art Institute of Chicago and the California College of Arts. In addition to the degree programs, there are courses in ceramics, painting, photography, printmaking and sculpture. Students will have opportunities to showcase their works at the Rosemary Duffy Larson Art Gallery on the Central Campus in Davie, alongside faculty, regional and national artists.
In addition, Broward College now offers the exclusive Visual Art & Design Academy (VADA) a juried, portfolio entry only AA program available only to select visual art students. Admission into the VADA Program is limited.
Many of these programs also offer opportunities for community members to take classes without enrolling for a degree.
Visit the official Visual and Performing Arts Program website for more information.