Hot Jobs are Booming in Business, Healthcare and Communications
If you study business, health care or communications at Broward College, you’re on your way to landing one of the fastest-growing occupations in South Florida. That’s among the findings from labor analytics firm EMSI. Its new report reveals some of the most in-demand jobs in our area.
As an increasing number of people move to South Florida and its population continues to expand and grow older, the demand for healthcare jobs is exploding. If you’re looking for secure employment consider a program in one of these growing fields:
- Dental Hygienists: This position involves cleaning teeth and examining patients for signs of oral disease. The Dental Assisting and Dental Hygiene programs at Broward College are 12-month full-time daytime programs. Both are required to be a dental hygienist. The median hourly salary is $30.19.
- Radiologic Technologists: People working in this role perform diagnostic imaging examinations such as x-rays on patients. The Radiography Program at Broward College is 22 months in duration. However, prerequisite and general education courses typically take a year or more to complete Median hourly earnings are $26.06.
Learn more about Health Science programs at Broward College
If you have a knack for working in business, Emsi suggests these are the most in-demand professions:
- Business Analyst: Analysts detect hidden patterns and relationships in big data and communicate their findings to help organizations improve performance. Typically, a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration is required for this role. The median hourly earnings for this job are $33.69.
- Credit Analyst: Credit analysts review financial statements and records to determine the level of risk involved in lending money. Employers generally prefer credit analysts have a bachelor’s degree, though in some cases an associate’s degree combined with related work experience is acceptable. The median salary for this position is $29.21 an hour.
- Financial Analyst: These individuals work with banks, investment companies, and organizations involved in the sales industry to provide risk assessment and profitability options. Most financial analysts have a bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance, economics, statistics or accounting. If you already have your A.A. degree, getting your bachelor’s degree at Broward College may happen in as little as two years or less. The median salary is $33.28 an hour.
- Insurance Sales Agent: Insurance agents sell life, property, casualty, health, automotive, or other types of coverage. If you would like to sell insurance in Florida, you must complete an approved line of pre-licensing education and pass the state-licensing exam; although an associate’s or bachelor’s degree can improve one’s job prospects. The median salary is $25.23 an hour.
- Legal Assistants and Paralegals: These professionals assist lawyers and the courts. They may help develop a defense for a client or assist officers of the court in determining charges and legal action. The Paralegal Studies (Legal Assisting) Associate of Science Degree at Broward College takes approximately two years to complete if you are enrolled as a full-time student. The median salary for these careers is $22.67 an hour.
Learn about Business programs at Broward College
Arts and Humanities
Interested in the arts? The increased use of multimedia devices has led to an increased demand in:
- Video editors: This role works across different industries creating everything from web videos to commercials and films. The Associate of Science degree in Film Production Technology at Broward College is for students who seek entry-level employment in the field of film and video production and desire advancement. Earning
your degree typically takes two years, but can be more or less depending on your course load and availability. Median hourly earnings are $20.16.
The Arts, Humanities, Communication and Design programs offer many more options for other hot jobs in the industry.